Sanborn first gained recognition in 1866 for creating fire insurance maps so full of valuable information that they are widely used by modern professionals. For 150 years, that commitment to excellence hasn’t wavered, and by providing innovative, state-of-the-art mapping products and services, Sanborn continues to be a geospatial industry leader today.
As a market leader and innovator, Sanborn offers an exciting, high-energy workplace. Our goal is to remain at the forefront of the GIS and photogrammetry industry by offering high quality, technologically superior products and services backed by the industry’s most experienced staff. We will reach our goal by being knowledgeable, customer-oriented, professional and resourceful. As such, we are always looking for adventurous, committed people to join our team and help us to continue to realize our goals. As was true 150 years ago, our employees are the most vital part of our organization and we credit our dedicated and talented staff for keeping us at the forefront of the mapping industry.
CURRENT SANBORN CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
Search the career opportunities below and send us an application to learn how you can get started on an exciting and fulfilling career with Sanborn.
GEOSPATIAL INTERN – COLORADO SPRINGS, CO
Duration: 2-3 month assignment working 30-40 hours per week
Start date: June 1, 2016
The Geospatial Intern is an entry level position in a learning capacity to perform digital ortho photography processing, graphics, and quality control. Prepares, edits, and interprets orthophoto images from aerial photographs, survey data, and compilation data. Analyzes LiDAR surfaces for anomalies and artifacts.
- Successfully completes internship training program and assessments.
- Under close supervision, prepares orthophoto images from aerial photographs, survey data, and compilation data.
- Archives digital data.
- Perform manual edit QC on LiDAR data.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma. Bachelor’s degree or Associate’s degree preferred, or certificate in relevant course of study, or the equivalent work experience or current enrollment in relevant college-level coursework.
Exposure to GIS software tools.
LANGUAGE and MATHEMATICAL SKILLS
Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of the organization. Ability to calculate figures and amounts of basic math, algebra and geometry.
Ability to solve basic problems and deal with a variety of situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, talk and/or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk and use hands to finger, handle or feel. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Please email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Geospatial Intern – Colorado Springs” in the title of the email. Sanborn is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer (gender / minority / veterans / disabled).
INTERMEDIATE NATURAL RESOURCES GIS ANALYST / PROGRAMMER – VALLEJO, CA
Join Sanborn’s award-winning team! Sanborn is looking for an Intermediate Natural Resources GIS Analyst / Programmer to provide technical and analytical support in developing and streamlining workflows to prepare and process spatially-explicit datasets for National Forest plan revisions. The position requires a multitude of applications for a variety of disciplines including, forestry, wildlife, fire, pest management, inventory and modeling, raster rectification and registration, land use analysis, hydrographic and hydrologic profiling, planimetric mapping services, demographics, and training. This requires experience utilizing Spatial Analyst and 3D Analyst extensions and programming in Python. This also requires advanced knowledge of the following software packages applications: ArcGIS 10.x, MS Access and MS Excel. The position is located in Vallejo, CA.
- Automating multi-scale analyses (ranging from project to regional scale) of bioclimatic, vegetation, wildlife, socio-economic data, and other natural resource data to support Land Management Plan revisions using Python and other languages within the ESRI software suite.
- Performing spatial analyses using both vector and raster formats, including use of the Spatial Analyst and 3D Analyst extensions.
- Producing datasets that can be evaluated using numerous methods, including quantitative and qualitative analyses using field-measured data.
- Providing oral and written communication to convey complex GIS topics to internal and external audiences with varying levels of GIS comprehension, including how datasets were generated and what underlying assumptions are implicit in GIS analyses.
- Creating quality documentation and technical reports that will be evaluated for completeness, process flow and references to peer-reviewed literature.
- Creating and maintaining FGDC-CSDGM compliant metadata.
- Performing live on-screen presentations to show internal personnel and the public how data sets were created, how to interpret the resultant outputs and present preliminary summary statistics.
- Developing both static and dynamic quality cartographic products.
- Developing strategic wildfire management zones, wilderness recommendations, and wild and scenic river evaluations
- Scheduling and delivering all tasks in a timely manner in order to meet project timelines.
- Development of ArcGIS Online products may be requested, but no previous experience is required.
- Development experience with scripting languages, in particular Python.
- Experience using Spatial Analyst and 3D Analyst extensions.
- Advanced knowledge of GIS and geospatial application development including ESRI software, specifically ArcGIS 10x.
- Advanced knowledge of MS Access and MS Excel.
- Ability to prepare presentations, maps and graphic products.
- Excellent technical writing and customer service skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Coursework and work-related experience pertaining to natural resource management.
- Coursework and work-related experience pertaining to analytical techniques for modeling and assessing dynamic ecological communities.
- Experience with ArcGIS Online, desired but not required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Forestry, Ecology, Wildlife Biology, Soils, Geology, Hydrology, Geography or related degree.
- Five years of intensive and progressive experience requiring extensive use of GIS and related tools.
- Master’s degree in GIS is highly desired.
CONTRACTOR PERSONNEL SECURITY AND SUITABILITY REQUIREMENTS
The following forms and inquiries, or their equivalent, will be used to initiate the credentialing process:
- OPM Standard Form 85 or 85P
- National Criminal History Check (NCHC)
- Release to Obtain Credit Information
- PIV card application
If selected to fill the position, a candidate would be required to pass a drug screen and satisfy the requirements of a National Criminal History Check (NCHC) to verify the identity of the individual applying for clearance and to determine the individual’s suitability for the position.
- The position may require occasional travel.
- Applicant must be a U.S. citizen or possess a current work visa.
Sanborn offers a comprehensive health and wellness program which includes medical, dental, vision, 401k, holiday, PTO, EAP, disability and life insurance benefits.
Please email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Intermediate Natural Resources GIS Analyst / Programmer” in the title of the email. Sanborn is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer (gender / minority / veterans / disabled).
SANBORN EMPLOYEE BENEFITS
Sanborn offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information about Sanborn employee benefits, please contact Sanborn Human Resources via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Medical / Pharmacy
- Life insurance
- Healthcare spending accounts
- Personal Time Off (PTO)
- Bereavement leave
- Tuition reimbursement
Sanborn is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer (gender / minority / veterans / disabled). We value diversity! If you are disabled and unable to apply for a position using electronic mail (email), please contact Sanborn at 719.264.5566. Our AAP for Veterans and the Disabled is available during regular business hours or by appointment. Please contact our EEO officer at 719.264.5566. Sanborn participates in the federal E-Verify program. To learn more about E-Verify, please visit: http://www.uscis.gov.