Sanborn first gained recognition in the 1860s for creating fire insurance maps so full of valuable information that they are widely used by modern professionals. For over 140 years, that commitment to excellence hasn’t wavered and by providing innovative, state-of-the-art mapping products and services, Sanborn continues to be a geospatial industry leader today.
As a market leader and innovator, Sanborn offers an exciting, high-energy workplace. Our goal is to remain at the forefront of the GIS and photogrammetry industry by offering high quality, technologically superior products and services backed by the industry’s most experienced staff. We will reach our goal by being knowledgeable, customer-oriented, professional and resourceful. As such, we are always looking for adventurous, committed people to join our team and help us to continue to realize our goals. As was true over a century ago, our employees are the most vital part of our organization and we credit our dedicated and talented staff for keeping us at the forefront of the mapping industry.
CURRENT SANBORN CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
Search the career opportunities below and send us an application to learn how you can get started on an exciting and fulfilling career with Sanborn.
AERIAL MAPPING PILOT (PART TIME) – COLORADO SPRINGS, CO
The pilot operates aircraft to fly aerial photo missions in support of mapping and LiDAR projects. As Pilot in Command of the aircraft, the pilot directs on-board crew to ensure safe and efficient acquisition missions.
Responsibilities include performing flight operations within schedule and budget; coordinating with authorities to obtain flight permission/clearance within restricted or Class B airspace; maintaining flight records; and advising chief pilot and/or data logistics manager of any equipment maintenance requirements or safety concerns. The pilot is responsible for determining the aircraft is in an airworthy condition prior to flight and operating the assigned aircraft. The PIC is directly responsible for the safety of any passengers, crew, and cargo. The decision regarding whether a flight may be safely completed rests with the PIC, who is the final authority regarding operation of the Sanborn aircraft. The PIC must comply with Flight Operations Manual directives and FAA regulations.
- Coordinate flight plans.
- Perform flight operations as required by projects within schedule and budget.
- Maintain records of flights.
- Prepare and submit reports (pilot logs, dailies, expense reports, timecards, etc.) in an accurate and timely fashion.
- Coordinate with appropriate authorities in obtaining flight permission/clearance.
- Maintain required licensures.
- Maintains good working relationships with external vendors and clients where appropriate.
- Assist with training of new pilots and others as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor of Science in Aviation or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of 1,500 hours total flying time as pilot in charge.
- Minimum of 500 hours multi-engine.
- Proficiency with computers and software.
- Annual ground and flight training required in make and model of designated aircraft.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- Active commercial pilot’s license.
- IFR Rating.
- 1st class medial certification from FAA.
- Approval from flight operation director and acceptance/insurability by Sanborn’s aviation carrier.
- Successful completion of initial drug screen and subsequent drug screens.
- Successful completion of a background check, including driving record.
- Annual ground and flight training required in make and model of designated aircraft.
- Ability to provide flight training in designated make and model to pilots.
- Valid passport and ability to travel anywhere in North America.
Please submit your cover letter and resume with “Aerial Mapping Pilot (Part Time)” in the subject line to email@example.com. Sanborn is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
AERO TRIANGULATION TECHNICIAN – COLORADO SPRINGS
The aero triangulation technician prepares data using mathematical principles for ingestion into aero triangulation software. This is a temporary position and will be located in our Colorado Springs facility.
- Manages the auto-mensuration process.
- Ensures successful generation of pass and tie points and completes the bundle block adjustment to project specification.
- Coordinates ground control requirements.
- Troubleshoots data and internal/external file inputs.
- Maintaining project documentation.
- Helping to train junior level staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must be able to lift and carry 10lbs. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Minimum Associates degree in a relevant course of study in the GIS field or a degree in a math discipline.
- Proficiency in software applications, MS Office, Excel, Word.
- Must have experience solving practical problems and dealing with a variety of variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- The ability to calculate figures and amounts. The ability to apply concepts of algebra, geometry, trigonometry, and apply fundamentals of statistical analysis.
- Operates and monitors optical and LiDAR systems for accurate image quality capture.
- Travel extensively while working as an airborne crewmember throughout North America and foreign countries.
- Performs basic surveying duties such as using a GPS receiver, centering a tripod, measuring antenna height, and placing markers and targets.
- Conducts field-level quality control of data, makes backups and ships/disseminates in a timely fashion.
- Prepares and submits logs, reports, expense reports and other materials as required.
- Office time and work to include assisting with sensor maintenance and installation.
- Basic entry level flight planning to assist with layout of flight lines and generated flight maps and document estimation.
- Other duties as required.
- Proficiency in software applications used for processing survey data.
- Experience operating an aerial sensor or LiDAR system desired.
- Valid passport and ability to travel anywhere in North America and abroad.
- Python and programming to compile datasets for plan revisions.
- Analyze and automate multi-scale (i.e. ecoregion subsection, Forest and bioregional scale) bioclimatic, vegetation, wildlife and other natural resource data. In addition, multi-scale summarization of socio-economic data is also required.
- Development of raster surfaces and tree lists from plot data shall be required to produce inputs for modeling ecosystem dynamics, potential natural vegetation and disturbance regimes.
- Develop cartographic products suitable for printed documents and large-format products for public meetings.
- Perform live on-screen presentations to show FS personnel and the public how data sets were created, how to interpret the resultant outputs and present preliminary summary statistics.
- Provide oral and written communication to FS staff regarding how datasets were generated or what underlying assumptions are implicit in hypothesis tests.
- Produce quality datasets that can be evaluated by numerous methods, including quantitative and qualitative analyses using field-measured data.
- Create quality documentation and technical reports that are complete and have a process flow and references to peer-reviewed literature.
- Deliver all tasks and final products in a timely manner in order to meet project deadlines.
- Provide coursework and work-related experience pertaining to natural resource management.
- Provide coursework and work-related experience pertaining to analytical techniques for modeling and assessing dynamic ecological communities.
- Possess cartographic skills suitable to develop map representations for planning documents released to the public.
- Bachelor’s degree in Forestry, Ecology, Wildlife Biology, Soils, Geology, Hydrology, Geography or related degree.
- Master’s degree in GIS from an accredited college or university is desired.
- Five years of intensive and progressive experience in a field requiring extensive use of GIS and related tools. Master’s degree fulfills this experience requirement.
- OPM Standard Form 85 or 85P
- National Criminal History Check (NCHC)
- Release to Obtain Credit Information
- PIV card application (web-based)
- Manage Microsoft Active Directory and Group Policy, including creating new policies, users, and access privileges.
- Monitor Microsoft Exchange, complete necessary maintenance, and perform upgrades.
- Setup and configure RAIDs on new equipment, monitor and manage raids on existing Microsoft Windows 2003 and 2008 R2 servers.
- Provide hardware and software support to end users.
- Create, setup, and maintain virtual environments.
- Maintains network performance by performing network monitoring and analysis, and performance tuning; troubleshooting network problems; escalating problems to vendors.
- Prepares users by designing and conducting training programs; providing references and support.
- Upgrades hardware by conferring with vendors; developing, testing, evaluating, and installing enhancements.
- Coordinates expenditures needs in meeting departmental budget requirements.
- Protects organization’s value by keeping information confidential.
- Accomplishes organization goals by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- A minimum of five years equivalent work experience in systems administration.
- Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) recommended.
- Demonstrated hands-on experience in overseeing the design, development, and implementation of software systems, applications, and related products.
- Proven experience with LAN Knowledge, Systems design and implementation, security principles, and general software management best practices.
- Working technical knowledge of current software protocols and Internet standards, including TCP/IP networks & Microsoft Windows based enterprise network environments.
- Extensive experience with core software applications, including Microsoft Active Directory, Windows Server, Microsoft SQL Server and Microsoft Exchange Server.
- Excellent software troubleshooting experience.
- Application support experience with Microsoft information worker products including MS Office, Exchange/Outlook messaging, SharePoint portals, Visio, MS Project and other related products.
- Working knowledge of network and PC operating systems, including Windows based platforms.
- Experience with corporate VOIP administration and installation.
- Ability to conduct research into systems issues and products as required.
- Ability to communicate ideas in both technical and user-friendly language.
- Highly self motivated and directed, with keen attention to detail.
- Proven analytical and creative problem-solving abilities.
- Able to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
please submit your cover letter and resume with “AT Technician” in subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org. Sanborn is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
DATA ACQUISITION TECHNICIAN I – COLORADO SPRINGS, CO
The Data Acquisition Technician I position collects accurate and viable data in a timely fashion. Ability to travel extensively is required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
High school diploma with GIS certificate or minimum associates degree in a Geography, Engineering, GIS, Earth Science, Math, or related discipline.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand and walk. The employee frequently is required to use hands to handle, or feel. The employee is occasionally required to sit; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work occurs in the field environment conducting basic surveying, and in an aircraft collecting aerial imagery/data. Work environment includes exposure to aircraft noise as well as high and low temperatures. Daily work hours may vary to support operational needs. Hearing protection is required to be worn while working near aircraft.
To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume with “Data Acquisition Tech” in the subject line to email@example.com. Sanborn is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
NATURAL RESOURCES GIS ANALYST PROGRAMMER – VALLEJO, CALIFORNIA
The Sanborn Map Company, Inc. is looking to fill a Natural Resources GIS Analyst Programmer position.
Join Sanborn’s award-winning onsite team! The USDA Forest Service requires one Natural Resources GIS Analyst Programmer to provide the technical and analytical assistance for Land Management Planning and Cartographic Support. The Analyst will develop and streamline workflows to prepare and process spatially-explicit datasets for National Forest plan revisions. This requires advanced knowledge of the following software packages applications: ArcGIS 10, MS Access and MS Excel. The position will be performed at the Regional Office in Vallejo, CA.
REQUIREMENTS for LAND MANAGEMENT PLANNING SUPPORT TASKS
ADDITIONAL AND HIGHLY DESIRED
CONTRACTOR PERSONNEL SECURITY AND SUITABILITY REQUIREMENTS
The following forms and inquiries, or their equivalent, will be used to initiate the credentialing process:
If selected to fill the position, a candidate would be required to pass a drug screen and satisfy the requirements of a National Criminal History Check (NCHC) to verify the identity of the individual applying for clearance and to determine the individual’s suitability for the position. The position may require occasional travel. Applicant must be a U.S. citizen or possess a current work visa.
Submit your resume, cover letter, and materials demonstrating required knowledge and experience via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Indicate “Natural Resource GIS Analyst Programmer” in the subject line of the email. Sanborn is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATOR – COLORADO SPRINGS
Maintains and supports computing environment by identifying data center requirements, installing upgrades, and monitoring server performance. Ensures the stability, integrity, and efficient operation of internal information systems that support core organizational functions through monitoring, maintaining, supporting, and optimizing all networked software and associated operating systems.
Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) in computer science or related field. Experience may be substituted for up to two years education.
Ability to read, analyzes, and interprets discipline specific reports legal and technical documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers. Ability to effectively present information to management and employee groups. Ability to create factual and effective email communications to the staff.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draws valid conclusions.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MSCE) preferred.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This position is located in an office environment and a computer lab, with associated noise levels from servers and other computer equipment. Room temperatures can vary depending on air-conditioning requirements for the equipment.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
Please submit your cover letter and resume with “Systems Administrator” in subject line to email@example.com. Sanborn is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Sanborn is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer (gender / minority / veterans / disabled). We value diversity! If you are disabled and unable to apply for a position using electronic mail (email), please contact Sanborn at 719.264.5566. Our AAP for Veterans and the Disabled is available during regular business hours or by appointment. Please contact our EEO officer at 719.264.5566. Sanborn participates in the federal E-Verify program. To learn more about E-Verify, please visit: http://www.uscis.gov.
Aerial Mapping Pilot (Part Time) - Colorado Springs, CO Posted July 14, 2015
Aero Triangulation Technician - Colorado Springs, CO Posted July 14, 2015
Data Acquisition Technician I - Colorado Springs, CO Posted June 18, 2015
Natural Resources GIS Analyst Programmer - Vallejo, CA Posted July 5, 2015
Systems Administrator - Colorado Springs, CO Posted July 15, 2015